This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Text Height - Text, Mtext, and Attributes

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:43 AM
Edited Jun 6, 2016 at 11:47 AM
I am using netDXF to extract information from DXF files. This works fine for the most part, but I am having some problems with the Height value for all text entities.

There are three cases that I've run into.
  1. Height value as given by netDXF is correct, can be used as is. PlotSettings.PrintScale from the active layout is set to 1.0
  2. Height value as given by netDXF is not correct. I have to multiply the Height value by the value of PlotSettings.PrintScale from the active layout.
  3. Height value as given by netDXF is correct, but PlotSettings.PrintScale from the active layout is set to a value other than 1.0
My problem is that I cannot figure out how to tell if I need to multiply Height by PlotSettings.PrintScale from the active layout or not.

In case (1.) there's no problem. Just multiply by PlotSettings.PrintScale from the active layout or don't multiply and every thing is good.

In case (2.) I have to multiply height by PlotSettings.PrintScale from the active layout, and everything works out.

In case (3.) I must not multiply height by PlotSettings.PrintScale from the active layout.

Right now, I'm not even sure if case (2.) or case (3.) is the real problem. Maybe I shouldn't have to use PlotSettings.PrintScale at all, and there's something wrong with the files that present case (2.)

Unfortunately, I am not free to post the files in question - they belong to a company that I am doing some work for, and they would be most unhappy to find their building plans shared on the internet. I also can't post simple sample files that show the problem(s) since I haven't the slightest idea what is causing the difficulties.

Should I need to use PlotSettings.PrintScale at all? Is there any kind of flag that I can check to see if it is needed?
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2016 at 1:37 PM
The height values you get are the ones that are written in the dxf file, no further operations are applied. The PlotScale should only be used when printing and not to show, on the screen, the actual size of the objects. Are you using annotative text styles and/or annotative text entities by any chance? That will affect the size of the text and this information is not read from the file, so if you are don't do it or just use a annotative scale of 1:1 and try again.

Daniel