This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

News

Coordinator
Sep 21, 2012 at 12:16 AM

News, news? I don't want to sound like a bad joke after such a long, long, loooong,... break. I know it has been a few years since the last updates but that's the price of these kind of projects, many of those are lost in time, they are just a work of fun. They last while someone enjoys to see the things rolling. I know I haven't answer any of the discussions but I haven't even care, this project was mostly forgotten, and I apologize for that. Don't hesitate on continuing writing your questions on the discussion board. To be sincere with all these crisis in Europe I have more free time now that I use to have, seeing the situation from an optimistic point of view.

I am NOT a programmer, I just enjoy writing code, sometimes, and it has its limits when I program just for myself. How many times I have seen myself taken a different route just because it was more fun even it was not the most productive. I don't want this to sound like an apology or a declaration of future plans, but maybe as a rebirth?, don't know, I don't want to promise anything, things are done when they are done, no dates, no plans.

In the last few weeks there has been a person willing to contribute in the stuff where my knowledge lacks, like I said I am not a programmer and this is what I really need someone to take care of the fight with the system, to make the code not just useful but clean and beautiful. It's like to see myself writing in English, you might understand what I am writing but it might not be the best way to do it, even if you like what I write. Did I say that I am not a native English speaker?

Two big changes has been made: first the use of doubles instead of floats (in the beginning it was all that I needed, even if the AutoCAD documentation defines those variables as doubles) and hatches. Yes, I have been working on it, it is what seems that most people was looking for. At the moment only you can write, with some limitations, hatches to a dxf; later I will implement the read part.

One thing that has been driving me crazy was to maintain the compatibility with AutoCAD 12 dxf, and probably will drop the support for it and erase its code. While all the actual code works perfectly fine for AutoCAD 2000 and newer it does not for AutoCAD 12, I have to take many reroutes to take care of it, it's the case of the new implementation of the hatches (it does NOT work for AutoCAD 12). I does not only take a lot of time but it's also painful, boring and I am thinking it is also worthless. Does anyone one really, really needs AutoCAD 12 compatibility? I have good memories of this version but it is very old and any program that implements import capabilities for AutCAD 12 dxf I am sure it also support newer versions.

At the moment there are no official releases, if you want the library just download the code and compile it yourself. It doesn't depend in any external library besides, of course, the net framework.

One last question for the native English speakers, what do you use most for the plural of vertex, vertices or vertexes? I know there are some differences between UK and US English like colour or color, centre or center,... is this the case? If there is really a difference to make the changes it's quite easy.

Thank you for everybody that have hoped a good future for this project, and for those that didn't too,
Daniel Carvajal

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Hi,

Thanks, that you change floats to doubles :). I plan use this project in my own project. I am looking for some free ware dxf writer, and this one is realy good :).

Thanks,

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I'm not a native English speaker, but this could help (see the answer)
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/4539/singular-of-vertices

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Thanks. As I thought, vertexes and vertices can be used as the plural of vertex, nothing to change here. My question was really focused to know which one was the most common.

Daniel